The Goodliffe Family of Lambley Lodge, Rutland
William Frederick GOODLIFFE
William Frederick - apparently known as "Billy Pitt", married Eliza Ann BROWNSON in Dec qtr 1858 in Nottingham. They had six children and a rare portrait is preserved in the Nottingham Archives. Two of their daughters, Clare and Ada, were reported to have been war casualties, killed on 11 April 1941:
In the 1851 census, William (hosier's Apprentice aged 15) was living with his uncle Henry Pitt (36, married) in (?7) Melville St, Nottingham. Henry (36) was a Silk Warper. Also at this address were Ann Stokes (14, niece) and Jane Seldon (22, visitor).
By 1861, William (25), a Manufacturer of Hosiery, had married and was living at Talbot St, with wife Eliza (24) and William Francis (8 months).
In 1871 William was a "Junior Partner in Hosiery Firm", living at Carlton Rd. On census night, 2 April 1871, the occupants were William and Eliza, children William, Frederic, Ellen, Clara and Ada, Henry and Martha Pitt (Uncle & Aunt aged 56 and 57) and 2 servants.
On 20 Feb 1875, Eliza
Ann died. William married early in 1876 to Elizabeth Hardy COOPER, and
a son - Arthur Alexander - born Feb 1877 but died 11 weeks later on 15
1877. The headstone for Eliza and Arthur is in Nottingham General
Cemetery, next to the grave of my Froggatt family.
In 1881 William and his new wife Elizabeth were living
Woodthorpe Rise, off Mansfield
In the 1891 census, William was visiting his brother Simpson at Lambley Lodge. The rest of the family were still at Woodthorpe House:
In 1901, William and Elizabeth had moved to Norton Hall,
Norton, near Sheffield,
where they lived with daughters Ellen (34) and Ada (31) and 4
A Note on Norton Hall
Norton Hall is now part of Graves Park, the largest park in Sheffield. It was originally Norton Estate, with earliest references in the Last Will and Testament of Wulfic Spott in the year 1002. The Norton Estate remained with the Shores until 1843, when the then Lord of the Manor, Offley Shore, was forced to dispose of the Estate, owing to the failure of his bank. The next resident at Norton Hall was James Yates who came, not as Lord of the Manor, but as a tenant. The sale by auction of the Shore Estate in 1850, received no bid, but was eventually secured by Charles Cammell. The Cammells were followed by John Sudbury who sold the Estate to W.F. Goodliffe and in turn it was sold to Bernard Alexander Firth in 1902. - quoted from a paper on Norton Estate.
Today the area is known as Chantreyland and there is more information at this website.
Photos of Norton Hall
Click on a photo above to see a larger version.
Finally to Bournemouth
Following the sale of Norton Hall in 1902, William Frederick took out a 99-year lease on Lisle House, Grove Road, East Cliff, Bournemouth on 24 October 1902. This document is recorded in the Hampshire Archives as record D167/38.
In the 1911 census, William and Elizabeth are at Lisle House, Bournemouth, with 3 servants:
William Frederick died at Lisle House, Bournemouth on 15 September 1913 (Christchurch 2b/755) aged 78. He left an estate worth £95,000.
Elizabeth Hardy Goodliffe died in early 1923 at Lisle House, in Bournemouth.
Last updated: 14/09/2010